Wednesday, December 22, 2010

THINGS TO REMEMBER WHEN DEPRESSED

I had another bout of food triggered depression. I wasn't careful to read the label on my non-dairy creamer and it contains casein. As my mind is clearing up, I'm trying to type up the things God showed me through my depression this week, as well as observations for how I can do better handing this in the future. (It happens every time I accidentally have any gluten or casein, so it's bound to be a common thing I'll get to work through.)

FEAR / LOOKING AHEAD
In these times, I become especially frantic. Last summer, this manifested itself in fear about going back to school. This week, it was fear about money for tuition this semester, and being able to carry on in life with this level of mess in my mind and body.

IF I AM FAITHLESS HE IS FAITHFUL
This truth has become so precious to me.
This and the one about "if you call on my name you will be saved."
If I have called upon Jesus' name to be saved, I'm set. I'M SET.
No matter what happens between here and there, I am saved.
I could worship God every day, repent from any sins, and encourage others.
I could lose my mind, commit suicide. I'm still set.
This is a huge comfort at times when I feel like I can't even control my own mind.

"TAKE EVERY THOUGHT CAPTIVE"
When there's something chemically wrong with me, it is significantly harder to believe truth. To calm myself down once something triggers a panic, to not feel like everything's all horrible. While I can't necessarily change how I feel, I am called to try, and I am called to preach truth to myself. I am also promised that there's "no temptation that's not common to man without a way of escape"

SPELL OUT MY THOUGHTS
One way to help myself take my thoughts captive, is to figure out what they really are. I find it helpful to write out fears and lies on the left side of a page, and to on the right side refute them with scripture and realities I know about God.

1 comment:

hannah joy said...

thanks for posting this brielle. helpful for me. deff can relate to everything you said here. praying for you!